Saturday, March 22, 2008

Learning a new language

A co-worker of mine is recently learning how to write in hanja/kanji/Chinese however you might call it. And that gets me thinking.. how can I learn a new language without having to be in a different country where the language is spoken?

The obvious solution would be: go take a damn class. Yes! This is definitely the best way to start, however, it may not provide the degree of efficiency always. Internet becomes an essential source in this digital age for learning a new language. Yahoo is available in pretty much every languages and you can search and read many articles and blogs in any language.

Okay, now I got ways to learn how to read and write.. how about conversation? Luckily, California is the most diverse state in America (or is it New York?). You can make friends easily with a person to exchange your language learning experience.

To share my personal experience for a bit here.. English is my second language, I can speak English fluently (sort of) now all thanks to the help of my secret weapon...

POKEMON!!

I am not kidding you. I started learning English around the time when Pokemon first got popular here in U.S. It has been roughly 10 years ago.. Hard to imagine that Pokemon has been popular all this time. I attended E.S.L. courses in school during the day and after school it is pokemon all the way for me. At the time, it is a cartoon with interesting storyline. The series uses simple English since the targeted audience is mainly kids. Voice actors spoke at a decent speed which helped training my listening skill and throws me a few new vocabularies occasionally. I think real reason why pokemon works for me is just simply the fact that it is interesting to me. If you are learning a new language, finding something interesting that has association to the language you wish to learn would benefit your learning experience greatly.

So, I decide to pick a familiar face this time around.

Lean Dizon

She is a Eurasian model who started off as a racing model and became really popular over the years. Here is some more of her work.



[Once again, the photo is removed. Sorry Luke.]

2 comments:

murtini said...

I used to watch Pokemon every day after school too, since it was on at just the right time. Wish I'd learned as much from it as you did, though! :-)

Unknown said...

That's a hilarious story (pokemon), I recommend the My language coach games for DS to start learning a new language (I think I showed you my french one, although I think they only have french & spanish right now), and this is my favorite lady you've posted so far, mm-mmm.