Saturday, February 21, 2009

A change of mind set

I have stepped away from blogging for a while.. This last year has been the darkest time in my life. I had the realization of how my life has not turned out to be.. exactly what I had in mind when I was much younger. 

For one instance, my coding mentality has transformed to.. who cares about the person who will be reading my code? I had to bump around to figure out stuff all the time without being considered either.

Same mentality also surfaced in this one incident when I was installing media tomb on my kuro box. A while ago, I installed debian on my kuro box in hopes of apt-get install would ease some pain in my life. Well, I thought installing media tomb would just be apt-get install mediatomb, until I found out the fact that there is no ppc compiled binary in the repository... So, there went another night of linux dependency chasing... consists of: 

1. ./configure
2. get something else
3. repeat step 1 & 2 for however many times needed.
4. ./make which took about close to 30 minutes since the hardware is so weak.
5. finally ./make install

now.. it complains that the sqlite db tables for media tomb was not set up correctly.
then after some amount of googling.. I was finally able to reconstruct the tables.

The next day at work, I mentioned this to Luke. His response was "why don't you put up that ppc binary up to save some folks from the same process?". Good point. Did I do it? Nope.. Nah.. Too much trouble for meee. 

I am just glad that not everyone on the internet is like me.

(edited: photo removed)

This photo is taken from my dell mini 9 netbook with photobooth effect.

No comments: